Friday, March 7, 2014

1960s music

Dingmin Lin
Times New Roman
318 Words
March/06/2014
Gender influences in 1960s music
                     Singers often use music as social media tool to express their feeling and thinking. In 1960s, one of the biggest movement is the woman right movement. At this time, woman have same equal right as man does and not just follow the tradition path: to marry in her early 20s, start a family quickly, and devote her rest of her life in to house making. Therefore, in many famous song in 1960s is about how woman desire to have their own freedom and equal right.
                     In some famous song like “Respect” by Aretha Franklin and “You don’t own me” by Lesley Gores. From those songs have same one common that woman’s rebellious to have their esteem from their man. In the “Respect” by Aretha Franklin, she raised her voice when she singed: “sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me…….” This shows that she is a very confident woman, who knows that she has everything man wants, and demand his “respect” to her. She want man and woman can be treat it equally and woman can be better than man. In another song “You don’t own me” by Lesley Gores, In her song’s lyrics wrote that “ I am free and I love to be free, to live my life the way I want, to say and do whatever I please, and don’t tell me what to do……..” she is very young girl when she published this song out, she try to tell all girls that they can do whatever they want to do and they should not be control by man. This song also inspirit woman to fight for their freedom and played a big factor in the rise of second woman movement.
Below are the link from the youtube:
(Respect)
(You don’t own me)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWCMhL5qxlE

No comments:

Post a Comment